We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Mark Reber, the man taken into custody following a Tuesday evening standoff in which his mother was a hostage, will be charged with second-degree kidnapping, according to the Roanoke Rapids Police Department.

Reber, 54, is currently undergoing a mental health evaluation and the charge will not be lodged against him until the evaluation is complete, Captain Bobby Martin said.

The standoff, which ended around 7:45 p.m. with Reber being taken into custody with no harm to himself or his mother, was not first run-in police have had with him, Martin said. “There’s been a couple of times over the last few weeks. Of course, last night and welfare checks on his mom.”

One of those situations resulted in his arrest on charges he is tentatively scheduled to appear in Halifax County District Court for Friday.

The charges include resist, delay and obstruct; assault by pointing a gun and cyberstalking.

Former Roanoke Rapids police Sergeant Mark Peck filed the resist, delay and obstruct count against Reber on December 14, according to warrants filed in the Halifax County Clerk of Court Office. The other two charges — assault by pointing a gun and cyberstalking — were taken out by an individual.

According to the warrant for assault by pointing a gun, which allegedly occurred the same day Peck filed the resisting count, a magistrate found probable cause that Reber “unlawfully and willfully did assault (the victim) by intentionally pointing a gun, black revolver … without legal justification.”

The cyberstalking warrant says Reber “unlawfully and willfully did use words and language in an electronic communication … threatening to inflict bodily harm …”

In the warrant for resisting, the magistrate found there was probable cause that Reber “unlawfully and willfully did resist, delay and obstruct (Peck) by refusing to comply with commands of law enforcement to remove his hands out of his pockets and refusing to be handcuffed … At the time the officer was discharging and attempting to discharge a duty of his office by investigating a call of a man with a gun that had been pointed at an individual that was on scene.”

Reber Tuesday held officers at bay for nearly three hours before being talked into surrendering by officers who were familiar with calls to his mother’s residence on Old Farm Road near Rollingwood Road.

Asked if officers responding to the residence Tuesday had diffused a potentially deadly situation, Martin said, “We definitely diffused a situation that could have been worse. He’s in custody and she’s safe.”