We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Roanoke Rapids Police Department reported the following, according to Chief Bobby Martin:

A Roanoke Rapids man was jailed without opportunity for bond after reportedly shooting his girlfriend following an argument Sunday night.

The girlfriend was in good condition following medical treatment, Martin said in a statement this morning.

Officers responded to a shooting call around 9:15 Sunday night in the 1200 block of East Ninth Street and talked with the victim who appeared to have been shot twice.


Officers located a man identified as 64-year-old Eric Hyman who was still inside the home where the shooting took place. He had been described as the person who fired the shots and still had the weapon.

Officers took him into custody and secured the weapon.

The victim was treated for multiple gunshot wounds to her back area.

Hyman was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. He was jailed on a domestic violence hold and received a Wednesday court date.

Martin said the investigation revealed there was an argument between the two prior to the shooting.

Child neglect charge

Saturday shortly after 8 p.m. officers responded to an overdose call in the 1000 block of Washington Street.


Officer D. Newsome discovered Rashard Jones, 34, of Roanoke Rapids, was breathing but unresponsive.

Newsome attempted to wake Jones but the attempts failed. He administered Narcan and Jones eventually regained consciousness.

EMS arrived and checked to see if Jones needed further treatment. 

Investigation revealed Jones’ two-year-old daughter was in the car at the time of the overdose.

A child neglect charge stemmed from the investigation and officers discovered Jones had outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court and resisting a public officer.

He received a $3,500 bond and December 18 court date.

The child was placed in the care of a family member and social services will be contacted.

Martin said the vehicle was not moving at the time of the overdose.