We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

An arrest has been made in a late night attempted armed robbery Monday in which a victim was shot and an armed robbery which occurred at Fisher Auto Parts last Tuesday evening.

Captain Charles Vaught and Roanoke Rapids police Chief Chuck Hasty confirmed this evening the same person has been arrested for both crimes.

Police have not immediately released the alleged suspect’s name.

Vaught said the arrest occurred within the last few hours of this report and investigators are still trying to interview witnesses and victims of both crimes.

Vaught could not say with certainty this evening whether the reputed suspect had been lying in wait at Fisher last week or BB&T where the Monday attempt occurred. The businesses are across the street from one another off East Tenth Street.

Vaught said in a release this evening a full statement is expected from the police department Wednesday.

The suspect was arrested without trouble, Vaught said.

On Monday night a victim was left in serious condition after the suspect fired into a vehicle as they and another person were attempting to make a night deposit at BB&T on East Tenth Street.

Vaught said in a statement released earlier today as the shooting victim and another employee of an undisclosed business pulled up to make the deposit around 10:30 p.m., a male suspect dressed in all black fired one round at the vehicle.

Vaught said the round entered the vehicle and struck the employee in the neck. The suspect fled and the employees went to the emergency room of Halifax Regional Medical Center. The wounded victim was transported to a trauma center for further treatment.

It appears the employees never made the deposit and the suspect fled without getting the money that was to be deposited.

On January 8 at approximately 10:30 p.m., Sergeant M. Moseley responded to Fisher Auto Parts about a robbery.

The employee told Moseley after he finished unloading a truck he was approached by a man with a gun.

The suspect demanded money but when the victim told him he didn’t have any, he demanded the victim’s cell phone, which the victim handed over.