We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Scotland Neck Mayor Eddie Braxton said a curfew imposed Friday night at 9 will remain in effect until 6 Thursday morning after what he described as a relatively quiet weekend in the wake of the town board approving the order.

The curfew is between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily.

“It was a very quiet weekend,” Braxton said. “I think we had one call to answer — just a normal call.”

The breaking point that led to the curfew was over last week when interim town police Chief Tommy Parker said via Facebook that police and sheriff’s office deputies responded to two shootings and around 10 to 15 calls of shots fired around town.

“There’s some hard stuff you have to do,” the mayor said. “Some juveniles are involved in it. We’ve been dealing with them the whole summer vandalizing cars. The justice system doesn’t seem to think you need to do anything with these kids. They think timeout still works.”

Parker said in the Facebook post, “We have multiple areas that are hearing the shots fired, and you constantly have to try and saturate these areas when this starts happening.” 

On Wednesday, at approximately 6 p.m. Parker received a call that a man was shot in the 200 block of East Thirteenth Street. 

Police and deputies were already in the area assisting with a shots fired call.

A male juvenile was found in a vehicle with two gunshot wounds to the thigh area. He was transported to ECU Heath Edgecombe by Halifax EMS. 

The actual shooting occurred near Grace Street and the East Tenth Street area.

On Thursday,  shortly before 1:45 p.m. Parker and deputies responded to the same area as the day before and found a male juvenile lying in the yard of a residence. He sustained severe gunshot wounds to the leg. He was transported to ECU Health Edgecombe and later flown to ECU Health in Greenville. It is expected that he will recover. 

The area was secured and a search warrant was conducted at the residence by the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office. Numerous guns were recovered at the scene.

That evening around 9 Scotland Neck officers and a deputy were investigating shots fired on West Twelfth Street. 

Individuals began shooting towards the officers and two other individuals in the area. 

Several officers were nearly struck by the gunfire. This resulted in a multi-agency response that included over 20 Halifax County deputies, North Carolina State Highway Patrol troopers and the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Law Enforcement Division. 

Members of the Scotland Neck Fire Department assisted law enforcement as well. 

Deputies were involved in a foot chase on Church Street shortly after the shooting that resulted in the arrest of one male and the recovery of a firearm.

“These are related incidents, and the individuals involved are typically males between the ages of 15 to 25. We’ve been dealing with juveniles and retaliative shootings for a year.” Parker said. "It is clear that all of the individuals involved in these violent incidents have no regard for innocent life or property and that’s a huge concern. Most of the people in this community have absolutely nothing to do with the ongoing feud and they are the true victims.” 

The town of Scotland Neck recently approved a contract with Halifax County to provide extra law enforcement coverage. “Our police department, like many other small-town departments, is going through some major transitions, and we are just trying to keep a handle on the situation and ensure the safety for everyone in the community,” Parker said. “When police look for clues and suspects, they often run into a brick wall when victims don't talk and witnesses don't want to get involved.  It is especially important that the community call 911 when they hear or see something suspicious.”

Enfield police news

Meanwhile on Sunday morning Enfield police Chief Eric Johnson released a brief statement via Facebook on two crimes which occurred earlier this month, stating, “In most recent days there have been a series of crimes that have occurred here that involved firearms.” 

On November 3 there was the robbery of an individual. 

On November 4 there was also the homicide of a juvenile. “On November 4th during the morning hours there were gunshots that were fired throughout the city limits and into at least one residential location.”

Johnson said in the post, “I want to take this time to assure all of you that your police department is working diligently to investigate these matters and have the proper person charged and held accountable for their actions.” 

Another statement will be issued soon. “I am asking all of you to make certain that anytime any crime is committed in Enfield that you report the incident. Anyone who has information regarding any crime is urged to contact the police department. All information received will be considered confidential.” 

You may call the police department at 252-445-5122 or the chief at 252-886-0225.