We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

A fire this morning gutted the kitchen of a house on Duke Street, according to Roanoke Rapids Fire Chief Jason Patrick.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene around 4:30 and found fire coming from the rear of the single-family home.

The occupant, who was transported by EMS to ECU North for observation, made it out of the house safely by escaping through a window.

The occupant advised firefighters that the fire was located in the kitchen. Firefighters made what Patrick described as a quick entry into the house and extinguished the flames.

The fire appeared to have started in the area of the stove. The rest of the home sustained heat and smoke damage.  

“The initial quick response by on-duty firefighters which consisted of C-shift personnel was instrumental in containing the flames and stopping the spread throughout the rest of the home,” Patrick said.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the occupant.  

Fire crews remained on scene for roughly two hours, conducting overhaul operations.  

Patrick said it is not clear whether the occupant was using the stove for heat or perhaps it was left on by mistake. “We would like to remind everyone to make sure you do not leave cooking unattended and not to use your stove or oven to heat your home. Stoves are not designed for that purpose.”

Along with the on-duty Roanoke Rapids firefighters, nine off-duty firefighters were called in to assist.  

Also assisting were Halifax County EMS, the Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad, and the Roanoke Rapids Police Department.