We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Umel Motic Jackson, a Weldon man charged in a May standoff with law enforcement, was indicted federally Tuesday on a charge of illegally receiving a firearm while under indictment.

As of this report he remains in the Halifax County Detention awaiting proceedings on both the district and superior levels of local court this month. Federal court records did not immediately show when federal proceedings will begin.

The indictment is based on a criminal complaint filed by an agent of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives which charges him with the federal crime of illegal receipt of a firearm by a person under indictment.

The agent wrote in the complaint that on May 20 at approximately 8:30 p.m. agents of the Halifax Regional Drug and Gang Task Force executed a search warrant at 1004 Elm Street in Weldon. 

This search warrant stemmed from an investigation into Jackson, who was under electronic monitoring on pretrial release and connected to area shootings that occurred the night prior. Agents had previously obtained video footage of a man identified as Jackson in possession of a firearm at the Elm Street address. 

On May 19 approximately 20 minutes before the shooting Jackson was seen on the second story balcony of his residence brandishing a firearm consistent in appearance with a Pioneer Arms, Model HELLPUP 7.62-caliber pistol. 

On the morning of May 20 at approximately 8:44 a.m. there was a call for service for an armed subject with a handgun outside his home. Agents obtained video footage taken around that time of Jackson standing in the road near his residence with a handgun. He matched the caller’s description of the armed subject.

On May 20 during the execution of the search warrant, law enforcement vehicles were parked in the driveway and in front of 1004 Elm Street with their emergency lights activated. 

As agents approached the front door of the residence, they noticed that the door was barricaded shut. Agents loudly announced, “sheriff’s office, search warrant” and attempted to breach the door. 

One agent was still in the front yard at this time and observed Jackson holding a weapon on the second floor. The agent called to him to put the gun down. “At this time Jackson fired a shot at the agents attempting to breach the door,” the complaint said. “In response the agents called to Jackson asking him to put the gun down and they didn’t want anyone to get hurt.”

In response, according to the complaint, Jackson responded “it’s too late for that” and immediately fired a second shot. 

Over approximately the next 30 minutes, there was a large law enforcement response and multiple officers gathered on the road. “Jackson’s mother also arrived to try and talk him into surrendering. At one point, Jackson’s mother attempted to run into the house and was held back by officers.”

Jackson then fired a third shot from the second story balcony directly over the initial team, nearly striking two agents. “The officers stationed on the road saw Jackson fire that shot,” the complaint said. “The agents on the porch then decided to retreat to a better position of cover.” There was a standoff for approximately one hour and Jackson asked to speak with Sergeant George Evans of the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office, his electronic monitor handler. 

Evans arrived on scene and began negotiating with Jackson, who ultimately exited the house  along with a woman, who in court Friday was identified as his sister. He was taken into custody.

Search of house and additional analysis

Upon searching the house, two firearms were found under the sink in the bathroom connected to Jackson’s bedroom located on the second floor of the house. 

These firearms were identified as the Pioneer Arms HELLPUP and a Ruger  FN 5.7-caliber pistol.

On May 22 the ATF agent writing the complaint conferred with an ATF firearms nexus expert regarding the HELLPUP and determined it was not manufactured in North Carolina and to be received in North Carolina it traveled in or affected interstate or foreign commerce.

Meanwhile, on April 24 of last year a Halifax County Grand Jury returned a true bill of indictment on Jackson for robbery with a dangerous weapon in Halifax County. 

On June 26 of last year Jackson appeared in Halifax County Superior Court where he was notified of the bill of indictment and the charges against him. The charges remain pending and have not been dismissed.

The ATF’s National Tracing Center Firearms Trace Summary Report states the HELLPUP was purchased on February 19 from a federally licensed firearms dealer in Roanoke Rapids by someone other than Jackson. “Therefore, Jackson had to have received the firearm while he was under indictment and after he knew that he was under indictment — between February 19, 2024 and May 20, 2024,” the complaint says. “Because the charges remain pending and have not been dismissed, at the time Jackson received the firearm — between February 19, 2024 and May 20, 2024 — he would have actually been under indictment.”