We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

A house in the 300 block of Madison Street sustained significant damage to the upstairs bedrooms and floors.

Roanoke Rapids Fire Department Chief Jason Patrick said the cause of the fire, to which firefighters responded shortly after 3:15 this morning, is undetermined but not considered foul play.

Responding firefighters observed smoke showing from the second floor.

Initial reports indicated a child might be trapped inside but then learned all occupants exited the house safely. The occupants were examined by EMS.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was located in the upstairs portion of the home. The fire appeared to have started in the upstairs rear bedroom area.  The rest of the home sustained heat and smoke damage. 

“The initial quick response by on-duty firefighters which consisted of seven B-shift personnel was instrumental in containing the flames and stopping the spread throughout the rest of the home,” Patrick said.

Crews remained on scene for roughly two hours, conducting overhaul operations. 

Nine off-duty firefighters were called in to assist with the fire.  

Also assisting were Halifax County EMS, Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad, and the Roanoke Rapids Police Department.