We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

A Roanoke Rapids man who allegedly held his mother hostage at her home on Old Farm Road was taken into custody this week and charged with second-degree kidnapping.

Interim Roanoke Rapids police Chief Bobby Martin said the charge stemming from last week’s standoff reflects Mark Reber, 54, had a weapon and did not let his mother move freely from room to room of her house.

Martin said Reber was taken into custody on Tuesday from a undisclosed facility he had been taken to undergo mental health evaluations. He was sent to the Halifax County Detention Center after his arrest to await his first court appearance.

He received a $50,000 bond and, according to the state court calendar, has a February 6 district court appearance in Halifax County.

Originally scheduled to appear in district court last Friday for three misdemeanor charges filed against him prior to last week’s standoff, he is also set to appear in district court February 6 to answer to those charges as well, according to the court calendar.

The charges unrelated to the Old Farm Road situation last week include resist, delay and obstruct; assault by pointing a gun and cyberstalking.

Former Roanoke Rapids police Sergeant Mark Peck filed the resist, delay and obstruct count against Reber on December 14, according to warrants filed in the Halifax County Clerk of Court Office. The other two charges — assault by pointing a gun and cyberstalking — were taken out by an individual.

According to the warrant for assault by pointing a gun, which allegedly occurred the same day Peck filed the resisting count, a magistrate found probable cause that Reber “unlawfully and willfully did assault (the victim) by intentionally pointing a gun, black revolver … without legal justification.”

The cyberstalking warrant says Reber “unlawfully and willfully did use words and language in an electronic communication … threatening to inflict bodily harm …”

In the warrant for resisting, the magistrate found there was probable cause that Reber “unlawfully and willfully did resist, delay and obstruct (Peck) by refusing to comply with commands of law enforcement to remove his hands out of his pockets and refusing to be handcuffed … At the time the officer was discharging and attempting to discharge a duty of his office by investigating a call of a man with a gun that had been pointed at an individual that was on scene.”

Reber on January 22 held officers at bay for nearly three hours before being talked into surrendering by officers who were familiar with calls to his mother’s residence on Old Farm Road near Rollingwood Road.