We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 4 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Inactive

A man who held his mother hostage in a bedroom and live-streamed the ordeal on Facebook was taken to a hospital for mental evaluation and his mother was not harmed.

The ordeal began around 5 p.m. today after officers arrived to serve the man involuntary commitment papers and an emergency custody order for his mother to get her into a safe place, Roanoke Rapids police Chief Chuck Hasty said this evening.

The hostage situation occurred at a residence on Old Farm Road near Rollingwood Road.

It was not clear whether the Facebook feed was cut or there was some sort of interference.

“I’m streaming live since the news ain’t here,” the man said in one clip provided to rrspin.com.

In another clip he says his mother and sister are watching and panned the device to his mother.

He tells his mother the court system, police and sheriffs have stolen money from her and says, “you move, you’ll be very sorry.”

The man’s mother demands, “Get up and let me get out of this bedroom. Get your ass out of here.”

The man surrendered voluntarily around 7:45 p.m. Hasty said charges will be discussed after the man’s mental health evaluation.

City Planning and Development Director Kelly Lasky, who serves as public information officer, said the man, whose name has not yet been released, displayed a firearm when police arrived and then barricaded himself and his mother in a room.

Lasky said the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office along with Hertford County responded. The city’s public works department, Halifax County Emergency Management and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation responded.

Live radio feeds indicated around 7:25 p.m. the man “may be ready to come out.”

There appeared to be some cat and mouse game with the man when at one point there was radio traffic saying he was coming out but then slid into a doorway, closed the door and went back inside.

The communication indicated the man was not armed when he came outside.